Love granola? I do! It is probably the fastest, easiest, healthiest snack you can make at a fraction of store prices right in your own Kitchen!
|Base Ingredients & Fillers|
There are just THREE ingredients for your granola base; Rolled Oats, Honey, Butter. That's it. Of course, you don't need to add fillers, you can enjoy just the base too! We like to add fun combinations of fillers and some added grains to boost the health benefits.
1 stick Butter combined with 1/2 cup Honey. Over low heat, melt the butter completely, stirring often, then add the honey until it's a loose consistency. Honestly, this takes about 2 minutes.
Pour butter/honey mixture over 2 cups uncooked Rolled Oats and thoroughly combine. (Gently toss together until it all looks coated.) using a 9x12 casserole dish for baking.
Bake at 350 degrees for a minimum of 15 minutes. Remove from oven, stir thoroughly, then bake another 5 minutes. You can continue to bake longer if you want to brown it up for a crisper granola.
|Fresh from the Oven|
Remove from oven and let cool. Every so often (there's no rule), stir the granola to keep it loose and expedite cooling. You can also transfer it to a cookie sheet to cool even faster, just be sure it has a 1/2" or higher side so it doesn't spill while stirring.
That's it! That's the basic granola recipe. No added harmful fillers or sugars! YOU know every ingredient you're eating. That's reason enough for me.
If you want to jazz it up:
Add to the dry granola (before mixing in the hot butter mixture);
- 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup ground Flax, 1/8 cup Chia Seed and 1 cup Cranberries (or any dried fruit)
- 1 cup coconut, 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup nuts (your choice), 1 cup chocolate, 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup coconut, 1 cup dried fruit (your choice)
- .....the possibilities are endless!
|Yogurt, Granola, Apple|
- Have it plain
- Yogurt Topping
- Yogurt Topping plus any fresh fruit such as apple, banana, mango, peaches, pears, etc.
- Mix together (or layer) Yogurt, Homemade jams and Granola
- Slice Bananas, top with Peanut Butter, finish with Granola
- Ice Cream Topping
- Add milk, warm, and enjoy as a hot cereal
- or don't warm and enjoy as a cold cereal
- Layer yogurt, granola, fruit like a parfait
- Bake into cookies, breads or muffins
- Bake on to muffins for topping
- Add to salads
- Mix in nuts
- ...Google "Ways to Enjoy Granola" and tons of great suggestions will pop up
The beauty of granola is you can add ANY DRY INGREDIENT to this recipe. For example, I always add flax and chia to any combination I bake. I like the health benefits. If you need more ideas than above, simply read the boxes of granola bars in the store for combination ideas!
*Note: My favorite uncooked oats are Bob's Red Mill or Trader Joe's. My favorite honey is always from a local farmer for the highest medicinal benefits. I always buy Stonyfield Organic Yogurt. I always add Flax and Chia seed for additional health benefits and often add to that coconut and sunflower seeds.
Download a printable PDF of this page for easy reference.